Search Menu

SINCE 1894

Since 1894, Kurn Hattin has helped thousands of children and their families by offering a safe home and quality education in a nurturing environment.

Our History

Reverend Charles Albert DickinsonOn August 18, 1894 the Articles of Association were signed for New England Kurn Hattin Homes, and the Reverend Charles Albert Dickinson, then pastor of Boston's Berkeley Temple and a native of Westminster, VT, had succeeded in creating a haven for boys and girls who needed a secure place to live, go to school, and grow up to become happy, productive adults. Reverend Dickinson was a man before his time; he believed that young children in need or orphans could be cared for in a nurturing rural setting rather than the urban childcare institution which existed at the time.

The name Kurn Hattin stems from the Hebrew name for the mountain range in Palestine where Christ is said to have recited the Beatitudes. When a close friend of Dickinson's saw the bucolic setting for the first time he uttered the words, " And may these hills be blessed."

Kurn Hattin Milestones

1849   Charles A. Dickinson, founder, was born in Westminster, Vermont
1872   Charles Dickinson graduated from Harvard College
1879   Charles Dickinson graduated from Andover Theological Seminary
1894   Reverend Dickinson took a leave from Berkeley Temple to establish the Kurn Hattin Home for Boys
1894   Kurn Hattin Homes was incorporated in Vermont on August 18, 1894
1894   Volume 1, No. 1 of the Kurn Hattin magazine was published
1895   Bequest of Sarah J. Warner’s home and property in Saxtons River, VT,
which later became the Girls’ Department
1897   First Annual Meeting of the Vermont Corporation was held in Westminster
1900   Permanent endowment fund was started with a legacy of $2,000
1907   Reverend Dickinson passed away
1907   The title “Kurn Hattin Home Association” was replaced by “New England Kurn Hattin Homes”
1908   Main Building, now known as Mathey Building, was destroyed by fire
1914   The Kurn Hattin Alumni Association was founded
1923   Kurn Hattin began admitting girls
1927   W. I. “Pete” Mayo took over as Kurn Hattin director and served for 35 years
1931   A band was organized at the boys’ campus and an orchestra on the girls’ campus
1935   The Kurn Hattin magazine became The Kurn Hattin Bulletin
1963   School became coeducational, busing students between campuses
1963   Mr. Mayo passed away
1978   Long-term goal of having all Kurn Hattin children live in small cottages was achieved
1989   The Mayo Memorial Center was dedicated
1994   Kurn Hattin celebrated 100 years of service
2005   Maysilles Cottage was erected, named for David J. Maysilles, class of 1943, former executive director

Choose a decade from the timeline above for more events from Kurn Hattin's history.