Kurn Hattin’s beautiful 280-acre campus includes nine residential houses, called “cottages.” Highly-qualified, caring staff provide a warm, welcoming atmosphere where children feel a sense of belonging and form strong bonds with peers and adults through cooperation, respect, and trust.
- Each residential cottage is home to generally 7 to 8 children (usually double rooms) and two full-time house parents
- Additional trained on-duty support staff work in the evenings with the children and house-parents
- House parents and staff attend to each child’s day-to-day needs from morning until bedtime (establishing healthy routines, personal hygiene, choice of clothing, homework, practicing a musical instrument, free-time activities, etc.).
- All children take part in daily/weekly chores and household responsibilities.
- Cottage residents go on regular weekend outings together, including shopping trips, bowling, concerts, movies, etc.
- Families are encouraged to maintain frequent contact with their children through visits, phone calls, and letters.
Kurn Hattin Cottages:
(visit Our Campus for more information on these and other cottages and buildings)
Dining Hall and Food Services
We often hear from the children that one of the best things about being at Kurn Hattin is the food! All children receive three nutritious hot meals every day. They also receive regular snacks to fuel their busy days in class, and during after-school sports or clubs.
Mealtimes in Watson Dining Hall provide time for the whole Kurn Hattin campus community—students, faculty, volunteers, and staff members—to come together to socialize, share stories, and build relationships.
- Children sit together with their cottages for breakfast and dinner and may sit where they wish at lunchtime.
- Meal choices feature fresh, healthy ingredients (many sourced directly from the Kurn Hattin farm) with multiple hot options as well as a fresh salad bar.
- A wide variety of offerings each week provide opportunities for children to try and enjoy new foods.
- Families are welcome to join their children occasionally for dinner at no charge
Sample Daily Schedule
N.B. Daily schedules vary somewhat by cottage, age, and time of year
6:15 AM Rise and Shine – get dressed, brush teeth, make bed, and straighten room
6:45 AM Cottage Chore
7:00 AM Walk to Breakfast in the Mayo Center
7:15 AM Breakfast with cottage in the Watson Dining Hall
8:05 AM Morning Assembly in the Higbie Auditorium
8:15 AM Morning Classes begin
11:45 AM Lunch in the Watson Dining Hall (usually unassigned-seating)
12:30 PM Afternoon Classes begin
3:30 PM Classes end – Afternoon Snack – return to cottage for afternoon activities and sports
5:00 PM Dinner with cottage in the Watson Dining Hall
6:00 PM Recreation time outside in warm weather or inside in cold weather
6:45 PM Return to cottage for homework, reading, and showers
8:00 PM Bedtime for the younger cottages or Free-time for older cottages
8:30/9:00 PM Lights out for older cottages